Skip to main content

Free Harlem

"Free Harlem"
I never thought I'd ever feel free again.
The price I'd paid for the escape I'd had was too deep.
Too far gone.
Too dark to ever come back from.
But here I stand.
The sun on my neck on a corner in Harlem.
Breathing the restaurant-vent-infused air.
The bustle of this Harlem Tavern,
Where the world,
This small piece of our small world is changing. 
Caddy corner to this open patio lined with picnic bench style seating and bright red umbrellas is a line for a food bank. 
The angle of this intersection,
The irony of it's short distance. 
The truth of this change is unmistakable.
But so easy to miss.
'As I decide on the sweet potato fries and truffle aioli'. 
A group of four young friends walk by me to grab a table. 
I sip my Starbucks and the breeze makes this summer day feel, almost, Californian.
But I stand here in New York City,
On a corner in Harlem...
As the world continues to spin and change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sunny Spot.

Sunny runs Lenox Fast Food breakfast spot in Central Harlem. He and his beautiful wife, And Fernando, Run the spot on Lenox Ave, Just below 143rd St. Next to a bar called 'A Touch of Dee'.  They serve plates, Fried fish, Coffee with milk or half 'n' half only... And cheese grits.  Everyone orders the cheese grits. I've never had them, But secretly, always want to try them.  The waffles are toaster waffles, And come in 2 sizes:  Regular and silver dollar.  There are tins ready with butter, Prepped bacon, And these little metal bowls, That Fernando has on hand to mix your eggs.  Which he folds with precision and skill. In the back of this narrow, Black-painted-walled hole in the wall (the kinda spot my Dad would love), On this block of Lenox Ave., There is a picture of Obama- maybe from 2008. On the wall next to the "If someone is choking" sign. Today a man, Much taller than me, With a smile and energy that could light up NY, A man who Sunny knew by name, Wa...

Old Earth

For the longest time, we called you the moon Because from where we could see You looked abandoned And blue Like nighttime We thought we understood how you felt Another room In a home That was a notch on our belt So we burned up the oceans And drowned out our skies Until even the islands began to Become dry And suddenly soon We'll stand crying over valleys abandoned and blue With a far, new born, planet Calling us moon. 

SPAMALOT

I was just cast in the upcoming Musical Theatre West production of Monty Python's SPAMALOT !!! June 29-July 15 2012 http://www.musical.org/ DANIEL MAY (Ensemble) Daniel is thrilled to be back on the MTW stage where he got his start in their productions of WEST SIDE STORY (Baby-John), HELLO, DOLLY! (Barnaby Tucker), CHILDREN OF EDEN (Abel), & THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (Bun-Foo). Daniel has journeyed to Broadway in the 2003 Revival of FLOWER DRUM SONG starring Lea Salonga and on the road in the 1st National tour of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE. Daniel has performed with The East West Players (PIPPIN) and McCoy Rigby (MISS SAIGON) and currently trains with Joshua Bitton. Thank you Across The Board Talent & MTW for this opportunity. Love to Mom & Dad and Mateo!