Skip to main content

Happy Holidays!!! From one human to another.

My friend Diane de Boer-Phelan posted this and I really needed to read it. And wanted to share it because I think it's really important. Please read and share:

"Tonight was extra cold. I walked by a guy on my way home who I noticed had been sitting there since 1pm. I felt his despondency. I walked another full block and a half saying things to myself like "he knows where to get help" "what if he's crazy" and "what if he thinks I'm hitting on him like the last guy I stopped and tried to help" "I'm beat, I need to get home"...
So many what if's crowded my mind and I just observed them and then saw myself turning around and walking towards him. His name was Mark, and when I asked him if I could buy him a coffee he looked amazed and relieved someone was talking to him. Turns out Mark is from Queens and lost his job when he had a seizure on the job. He wasn't crazy. In the least bit. And when I told him to pick out anything and all he wanted at Starbucks, he only took a coffee and sandwich, wouldn't accept more. I asked him if he would go to the shelters tonight and he replied, "think of the worst you've heard about them and multiply that by 10". He then told me about the warmest subway stop he knew of uptown where steam pipes warmed the place.

I debated on posting this, but what convinced me was that I almost walked away. I thought of him braving this cold scary night without a friendly face all day and how different I personally know a kind gesture could change the course of your day, if not your life. And he's just one person, it was one meal in a city of thousands who may need some human connection or helping hand. I can't be the only one who wants to reach out and help, there's just too much to do. If someone reading this gets moved or sees how easy it is to help someone else, then it'll be worth the risk of looking like I just wanted kudos.
Quite frankly, the very act of connecting with and supporting someone was so humanizing for me, I almost feel selfish, like it feels too good to do something for someone. The last thing he said to me before we shook hands and parted ways was, "You know what? People think New Yorkers are mean and scary, and they're just not. They're some of the best people in the world." Thank YOU, Mark. Hope you're sleeping warm and peacefully tonight."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Pride

" My P r i d e "  Lyrics by Daniel May A man once told me that I couldn't come back, Our secret too un-safe to be sound. I begged and I plead-ed for my unsworn little life!   That, with him, I'd finally be found. He touched me. He tore me, Deeeep-er and clipped my wings far from the ground. In pieces I fell, Into the swell. Swirling like dust to the ground. My pride is what's keeping me from telling you, The truth, The pain of what's going down. I'm a lost little boy with no sheep to be found and each day just feels like the same. My Mother, She scold me, And told me, "You can be anything that you work to be." But running and jumping through fiery rings, Leaves men singed, Burnt so black they can't see. She held me, and told me... "There's a light at the end of this tunnel! Don't leave befooore it gleeeams." And then she let me go, (with) My pride in tow,

A Sunny Spot.

Sunny runs Lenox Fast Food breakfast spot in Central Harlem. He and his beautiful wife, And Fernando, Run the spot on Lenox Ave, Just below 143rd St. Next to a bar called 'A Touch of Dee'.  They serve plates, Fried fish, Coffee with milk or half 'n' half only... And cheese grits.  Everyone orders the cheese grits. I've never had them, But secretly, always want to try them.  The waffles are toaster waffles, And come in 2 sizes:  Regular and silver dollar.  There are tins ready with butter, Prepped bacon, And these little metal bowls, That Fernando has on hand to mix your eggs.  Which he folds with precision and skill. In the back of this narrow, Black-painted-walled hole in the wall (the kinda spot my Dad would love), On this block of Lenox Ave., There is a picture of Obama- maybe from 2008. On the wall next to the "If someone is choking" sign. Today a man, Much taller than me, With a smile and energy that could light up NY, A man who Sunny knew by name, Wa

SPAMALOT

I was just cast in the upcoming Musical Theatre West production of Monty Python's SPAMALOT !!! June 29-July 15 2012 http://www.musical.org/ DANIEL MAY (Ensemble) Daniel is thrilled to be back on the MTW stage where he got his start in their productions of WEST SIDE STORY (Baby-John), HELLO, DOLLY! (Barnaby Tucker), CHILDREN OF EDEN (Abel), & THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (Bun-Foo). Daniel has journeyed to Broadway in the 2003 Revival of FLOWER DRUM SONG starring Lea Salonga and on the road in the 1st National tour of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE. Daniel has performed with The East West Players (PIPPIN) and McCoy Rigby (MISS SAIGON) and currently trains with Joshua Bitton. Thank you Across The Board Talent & MTW for this opportunity. Love to Mom & Dad and Mateo!